As part of the AmeriCorps and CARITAS family you will help transform lives by providing service to those moving through crisis toward stability.
Now recruiting for the following open AmeriCorps positions (see below for details):
- AmeriCorps Warehouse Assistant /Driver Positions with CARITAS Furniture Bank
- Resource Navigators with CARITAS Shelter
- Student Coordinator with CARITAS Works
- Peer Supervisor Coordinator with The Healing Place
Half-time positions: 900 service hours (35 hours/week when served over 6 months); $7200 stipend paid bi-weekly, $2865 educational award at completion of contract. This education grant can be used for any accredited program in Virginia or transferred to an immediate family member if you are over 55 at the start of your service contract. Mandatory training sessions throughout the contract term. Service must be completed prior to August 31, 2018. (As an AmeriCorps member you may serve up to 4 contracts. CARITAS’s next recruiting cycle will begin Sept 1, 2018.)
AmeriCorps Warehouse Driver and Handler – CARITAS Furniture Bank
Members in the Furniture Bank program will serve as part of a cohesive team to provide furniture assistance to those moving from a housing crisis while mentoring interns from CARITAS Works and engaging volunteers to enrich our Furniture Bank efforts.
- Work in Warehouse to receive donations and inventory items as directed by Warehouse Manager
- Assist volunteers on shoppers to ensure a positive experience
- Provide delivery and pick up services up to 6 households per day acting as a community ambassador for the CARITAS Furniture Bank.
- Act as role models for the students in the CARITAS Works program.
- Supervise Works interns and volunteers as directed by the Warehouse Manager.
- Learn and exercise safety measures in the warehouse and serve as a role model for volunteers
- Route pick-ups using Google in accordance with program parameters.
- Complete Daily truck log and weekly truck maintenance.
- Heat treat furniture as it enters the warehouse; drive air brake truck.
- Work open Saturdays as need to delivery or supervise volunteer projects.
- Act as a rotating member of the Laundry Team to perform laundry service and make deliveries of cots and linens on Saturdays to support the Shelter operations.
- Diligently keep inventory number of what comes in and what goes out of warehouse
Skills Needed: Drivers license; honesty and integrity; positive, teachable attitude, follows directions; desire to work as part of a team for the greater good; Ability to lift 75+ pounds; ability to make a field based decision based on the values of the agency; good sense of direction a plus. We are an inclusive project site.
As an AmeriCorps member you will provide at least 35 hours of Direct Service each week and be required to complete all training during the service year. All training sessions are mandatory!
This is an AmeriCorps half-time position with possible contract renewal:
Contract hours: 8-4 m-th and 8-3 f and one Saturday a month. (Other times at discretion of Warehouse Manager.)
IMMEDIATE OPENINGS AVAILABLE
Resource Navigator Positions – CARITAS Shelter
The CARITAS Shelter operates through local congregations to provide shelter and a pathway to housing for our most vulnerable citizens. We have a Men’s, Women’s and Family Program, each of which move congregations from week to week. Members provide support to the case managers in our shelter program. Candidates will work with clients to obtain basic documentation required for housing, connect clients with potential housing solutions, and will navigate clients through their housing crisis. Candidate will transport clients to appointments, and serve as a critical link between day staff and overnight staff. This position will be required to work until 8 pm two nights a week.
- Single Adult client assessments, referrals, and provide client support and direction culminating in the placement of these individuals into extended shelter programs or other appropriate housing.
- Monitor and determine acceptable service plan progress by regularly conferencing with each client.
- Complete client paperwork and enter data in client-tracking database. Assist with completion of grant statistics as needed.
- Attend weekly case management staff meetings.
- Transport clients to and from housing related appointments.
Supervisor: Senior Case Manager
This is an AmeriCorps half time position:
Contract hours: Average 35 Hours/wk; Evening shifts and some morning shifts.
Qualifications: BSW or related undergraduate degree preferred w/preference given to those with experience working with homeless individuals (substance abuse, mental illness, domestic violence. SSI/SSDI benefit processing) in a case management setting. Clear criminal history, valid Virginia driver’s license, good driving record and reliable transportation required.
Responsibilities: Support Senior Case Manager in providing case management for the clients in the Single Adult emergency shelter program
How to Apply: Fill out this form and send with your your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with Shelter Position in subject line.
Student Coordinator – CARITAS Works
Members in the Works program will serve as part of a cohesive team to provide intensive job readiness skills to those hardest to employ.
- Teach the computer series of classes, serve as back up instructor for other Works classes, and support resume writing, interview preparation and Mock Interview days.
- Maintain and email weekly student contact information to Program Manager.
- Assist with maintaining student curriculum and binder materials to ensure all resources are current.
- Assist CARITAS Works staff with appointments, and student coordination with The Healing Place staff.
- Assist with Life Stories and Peer Reviews if necessary.
- Manage the job roster for each Works Class.
- Participate in the intake and interview process. Responsible for maintaining records and employment files on all adult students.
- Support Job Club and AfterWorks activities. Help job seekers with updating/revising resumes, completing on-line applications, preparing for interviews, and anything else they need. Assist with Job Club every week, manage AfterWorks follow-ups and maintain all current information in Works Database.
Skills Needed: Employment coaching background; strong interpersonal and coaching skills, initiative, organizational skills; Ability to work daily as part of dynamic team to meet program objectives. Planning skills, and ability to help support development and implementation of the program.
This is an AmeriCorps half time position:
Contract hours: Average 35 Hours/wk – approximately 8-4 m-th and 8-3 f
Peer Supervisor Coordinator-The Healing Place
- Providing individual assistance to the men serving as peer mentor supervisors and peer mentors as they navigate caseloads of up to 15 men who will be working the recovery program in all different stages.
- Training new peer mentors in all aspects of the recovery program and the various job departments that the clients are assigned to.
- Support Projects in which The Healing Place clients are directly involved in and coordinating there responsibilities whether it be in the community or CARITAS family of programs.
- Attending and facilitating a regular community meeting of peer mentors at which time they help address the issues and concerns of the peer mentors.
- Work directly with the Program Director as he oversees the entire facility and participate in solutions to all challenges that are faced daily. Knowing how to handle time sensitive directives and keeping the integrity of the men and the organization at the forefront is a must.
Skills needed: Ability to work as part of a large team. Handle time sensitive directives. Excellent interpersonal skills.
This is an AmeriCorp half time position:
Contract hours: Average 35 Hours/wk – approximately 8-4 m-f
How to Apply: Fill out this form and send your resume to email@example.com