Where We’ve Been
CARITAS has been serving the Richmond community for more than 30 years, growing and expanding to address unmet needs with compassion, innovation, and expertise. We have a history of success providing the tools for self-sufficiency and dignity to men and women in crisis.
Where We Are
We couldn’t be more grateful for the thousands of volunteers, community partners, and donors who have made our work possible. Because they’ve invested in CARITAS, we’ve been able to invest in the future of Richmond, creating healthier lives for us all. We create the most effective change in our community by leveraging dollars, in-kind donations, and volunteer hours to offer programs based on best practices and evidence-based models. Based on three decades of success, we’re applying our expertise, data, and research as we develop a vision for making a larger impact in Richmond and beyond. We are excited to extend our mission to serve more women in the CARITAS Center, starting with recovery services.
Where We’re Going
Opening in July 2020, the CARITAS Center will bring all the solutions for breaking the cycles of homelessness and substance use under one roof. We can’t wait to watch CARITAS transform a south Richmond neighborhood and positively impact thousands of lives.
After decades of coordinating a mobile shelter effort in the Richmond region, it became clear that our clients needed more stability than moving around once a week can provide. There is also a great need for recovery services for women throughout the Richmond area. Years of planning and preparation have led us to July 2020, when the newly opened CARITAS center will include the following elements:
- The Healing Place for Women – 160-bed peer-based recovery program.
- CARITAS Works – Expanded state-of-the-art classroom space.
- Furniture Bank – Warehouse space for Furniture Bank clients and volunteers.
- 47 Sober-Living Apartments – For program graduates and qualifying community members.
- CARITAS Administrative Offices – All located efficiently under one roof.
- Leased Office Space – For a community health care provider.
Watch our Video about the CARITAS Center
- Download our Case Statement, which details our vision for the project.
- Watch this one-minute drone video of the construction project.
- Watch our 3-minute video about the CARITAS Center on YouTube. Share it with friends and contacts.
- Read this story about how the Jenkins Foundation brought The Healing Place to Richmond in 2005 and will help us bring The Healing Place for Women to life.
- Hear from The Healing Place Program Director Al Jackson in this Q & A about recovery and expanding recovery services to women in Richmond.
In The News
- “Rebuilding Lives” – Richmond Magazine. Read about the scope of the human services work that will take place in the new CARITAS Center.
CARITAS continues to invest in our community’s future. Tens of thousands of volunteers and donors have joined us in our 30-year journey to break the cycles of homelessness and addiction for all. We hope you will, too.