*Please Note: In-person volunteer opportunities are currently on hold*
CARITAS transforms lives and brightens our community. We provide a variety of volunteer opportunities in the Richmond area. With the support of 12,000+ volunteer hours each year, we can stretch every contribution farther and create a larger impact. For every dollar CARITAS invests in volunteer engagement, we add $3.60 of value to our clients and our mission.
Flexible and meaningful opportunities are available for you, your office, your family, and your neighbors to make a difference with us!
We ask that you attend an orientation with us. We typically offer these in person on a weekly basis. As we navigate the pandemic and our move into the CARITAS Center, you can start our experience by filling out the volunteer form below.
In addition, before you volunteer, please review our new health and safety protocols. Click here.
Our volunteer program opportunities include the following:
- Create a Hygiene Kit. Hygiene Kits include general self-care items, including razors and shampoo. Sign up to create kits!
- We often need outside support to provide meals to our shelter guests. Click here to sign up to provide a meal.
- We are often without overnight volunteers. For the safety and dignity of our clients, it is our policy to have at least two adults stay overnight with our emergency shelter participants. Learn more about becoming an overnight volunteer.
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call (804) 887-1595 for more information about volunteering with our Shelter.
- Create a Welcome Home Kit! Welcome Home Kits include household cleaning items. Items are used by clients served as they transition from crisis into a permanent home. Sign up to create kits!
- More opportunities exist for volunteers at the Furniture Bank, including shopping with clients, sorting incoming donations, and more. Visit HandsOn Greater Richmond, call (804) 343-5008, or email email@example.com for availability.
- Corporate, civic, and other groups are encouraged to volunteer with us; we offer many rewarding opportunities for teams, including our Bed/Table Build project.
- Off-site volunteers of any age can host a drive to collect gently used household items (pillows, linens, towels, dishes, pots/pans, etc.) and deliver them to the Furniture Bank warehouse, where they will be distributed to the formerly homeless community.
- Our students need your expertise to assist them with basic computer skills, resume writing, interview prep, and dressing professionally. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 804-612-1752 to learn more about volunteering with CARITAS Works.
- Create a Workforce Development Kit! These kits include shoe polish, travel bags, razors, and more. Men and women use them as they learn job and life skills. Sign up to create kits!
- We also need your help in providing meals to our Works students and their volunteers. Follow us on social media for requests for support.
The Healing Place:
- For volunteer opportunities such as sponsorship, contact Justin Woods at (804) 887-1584 or email@example.com.
- The Healing Place serves nearly 600 meals every day to men in the recovery program. We would love your help in providing bag lunches. The men use these meals as they head out to visit meetings and give back to the community. Stay tuned for an updated sign up form.
- Open Saturdays are currently on hold, and we hope to have more opportunities this fall in partnership with HandsOn Greater Richmond. You can also call (804) 343-5008 for questions.
Please Note: We welcome on-site volunteers aged 16 and older, with underage volunteers aged 16 and 17 providing adult supervision (one adult per five minors).