The CARITAS Furniture Bank serves nearly 1,000 families each year with essential household items. You may drop off items at our Furniture Bank and for large donations, we are able to pick them up for a small fee! Schedule a pick up here.
Below is a full list of items we typically accept at CARITAS:
- Metal bed frames
- Chairs: kitchen and upholstered
- Mattresses and box springs: stain and rip free (NO Kings or Foam)
- Sofas, loveseats, sleeper sofas, and ottomans
- Tables: kitchen and dining (no glass top tables)
- Tables: night/end/coffee/T.V stand
HOUSEWARES – LINENS, KITCHEN & BATH ESSENTIALS: full sets not required
- Bed linens/sheets: pillowcases, flat sheets and fitted sheets + mattress pads
- Blankets/comforters/bedspreads: all sizes
- Cookware: all sizes, pots and pans
- Dishes: plates, bowls, cups
- Glassware: larger than 6 oz, NO stemware
- Knives, cutting boards
- Laundry baskets and bags
- Pillows: sleeping
- Hardware: forks, spoons, knives + serving pieces
- Towels: kitchen and bath (wash, hand and bath)
- Utensils (serving)
SMALL APPLIANCES & ELECTRONICS:
- Blenders/Cuisinart/food processors/mixers/electric griddles
- DVD players
- Fans: box and floor (no ceiling fixtures)
- Heaters: small/electric (no base-board heaters)
- Irons and Ironing boards
- Lamps: floor and table (no fixtures)
- Radios (portable)
- Toasters and toaster ovens
Items We DO NOT Accept:
- Appliances, washers, dryers, refrigerators and stoves, etc.
- King-size mattresses, king-size beds
- Tempurpedic mattresses
- Entertainment centers, wardrobes or Armoires
- Hospital or electric beds
- Tube TVs
- Commercial office furniture (e.g. cubicles and large desks)
- Cribs, car seats, strollers or other baby equipment
- Medical equipment or wheelchairs
- Kitchen cabinets, ceiling fans, light fixtures that require installation, or any other items that attach to building structures
- Any type of décor/knick-knacks/throw pillows
- Art work
- Sewing machines
- Stereo systems and speakers
- Casual women’s, children’s, or men’s clothes
- Items from the basement or attic, only 1st and 2nd floor
- Specialty appliances: electric griddles, woks, fry pans, Panini press/grills, quesadillas makers, rice steamers, and waffle makers
QUALITY OF ITEMS ACCEPTED
- Department of Health of Virginia states we cannot accept upholstered items that are ripped, stained, torn, heavily soiled or have animal hair.
- Quality, gently used and new items accepted.
- All items must be clean and in good working condition.
- Free of rips, stains and/or pet hair.
- All staff and volunteers have the right to refuse items that do not meet our quality standard.
- Not sure if you should donate an item? Ask yourself if you would feel comfortable giving it to a friend or family member.
Where can I take the items I want to donate but aren’t accepted by CARITAS?
If you want to donate an item but CARITAS doesn’t accept it, here are a few helpful resources:
- Salvation Army Thrift Store
3807 Mechanicsville Turnpike
Opens at 10:00 AM
- Love of Jesus Thrift Store South
5503 Midlothian Turnpike
Open until 6:00 PM
- Richmond Metropolitan Habitat for Humanity
1901 Roane Street
Open until 5:00 PM
- Dress for Success (Women’s Professional Clothing)
210 E. Clay Street
Fridays, 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.