The CARITAS Furniture Bank serves nearly 1,000 families each year with essential household items. You may drop off items at our Furniture Bank and for large donations, we are able to pick them up for a small fee! Schedule a pick up here.
Below is a full list of items we typically accept at CARITAS:
- Metal bed frames
- Chairs: kitchen and upholstered
- Mattresses and box springs: stain and rip free (NO Kings or Foam)
- Sofas, loveseats, sleeper sofas, and ottomans
- Tables: kitchen and dining (no glass top tables)
- Tables: night/end/coffee/T.V stand
HOUSEWARES – LINENS, KITCHEN & BATH ESSENTIALS: full sets not required
- Bed linens/sheets: pillowcases, flat sheets and fitted sheets + mattress pads–donations currently suspended
- Blankets/comforters/bedspreads: all sizes–donations currently suspended
- Cookware: all sizes, pots and pans
- Dishes: plates, bowls, cups
- Glassware: larger than 6 oz, NO stemware
- Knives, cutting boards
- Laundry baskets and bags
- Pillows: sleeping–donations currently suspended
- Hardware: forks, spoons, knives + serving pieces
- Towels: kitchen and bath (wash, hand and bath)–donations currently suspended
- Utensils (serving)
SMALL APPLIANCES & ELECTRONICS:
- Blenders/Cuisinart/food processors/mixers/electric griddles–donations currently suspended
- DVD players–donations currently suspended
- Fans: box and floor (no ceiling fixtures)
- Heaters: small/electric (no base-board heaters)
- Irons and Ironing boards
- Lamps: floor and table (no fixtures)–donations currently suspended
- Radios (portable)–donations currently suspended
- Toasters and toaster ovens
MEN’S AND WOMEN’S CLOTHING
We regularly accept professional and casual clothing for men and women served by CARITAS. These donations are currently on hold. You may email Marilyn Milio to inquire about specific needs: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Items We DO NOT Accept:
- Appliances, washers, dryers, refrigerators and stoves, etc.
- King-size mattresses, king-size beds
- Tempur-Pedic mattresses
- Entertainment centers, wardrobes or Armoires
- Hospital or electric beds
- Tube TVs
- Commercial office furniture (e.g. cubicles and large desks)
- Cribs, car seats, strollers or other baby equipment
- Medical equipment or wheelchairs
- Kitchen cabinets, ceiling fans, light fixtures that require installation, or any other items that attach to building structures
- Any type of décor/knick-knacks/throw pillows
- Art work
- Sewing machines
- Stereo systems and speakers
- Casual women’s, children’s, or men’s clothes
- Items from the basement or attic, only 1st and 2nd floor
- Specialty appliances: electric griddles, woks, fry pans, Panini press/grills, quesadillas makers, rice steamers, and waffle makers
QUALITY OF ITEMS ACCEPTED
- Department of Health of Virginia states we cannot accept upholstered items that are ripped, stained, torn, heavily soiled or have animal hair.
- Quality, gently used and new items accepted.
- All items must be clean and in good working condition.
- Free of rips, stains and/or pet hair.
- All staff and volunteers have the right to refuse items that do not meet our quality standard.
- Not sure if you should donate an item? Ask yourself if you would feel comfortable giving it to a friend or family member.
Where can I take the household items I want to donate but aren’t accepted by CARITAS?
If you want to donate an item but CARITAS doesn’t accept it, here are a few helpful resources:
- Salvation Army Thrift Store
3807 Mechanicsville Turnpike
- Love of Jesus Thrift Store South
5503 Midlothian Turnpike
- Richmond Metropolitan Habitat for Humanity
1901 Roane Street
Where can I take clothing I want to donate but isn’t accepted by CARITAS?
- Shepherd’s Way Relief Center
- Liberation Veteran Services
- Vietnam Veterans of America
- The Salvation Army
- Dress for Success
- Love of Jesus Thrift Store South