The CARITAS Furniture Bank serves nearly 1,000 families each year with essential household items. You may drop off items at our Furniture Bank and for large donations, we are able to pick them up for a small fee! Schedule a pick up here. Below is a list of items we accept at CARITAS:
- Metal bed frames
- Chairs: kitchen and upholstered
- Mattresses and box springs: stain and rip free
- Sofas, loveseats, sleeper sofas, and ottomans
- Tables: kitchen and dining (no glass top tables)
- Tables: night/end/coffee/T.V stand
HOUSEWARES – LINENS, KITCHEN & BATH ESSENTIALS: full sets not required
- Bed linens/sheets: pillowcases, flat sheets and fitted sheets + mattress pads
- Blankets/comforters/bedspreads: all sizes
- Cookware: all sizes, pots and pans
- Dishes: plates, bowls, cups
- Glassware: larger than 6 oz, NO stemware
- Knives, cutting boards
- Laundry baskets and bags
- Pillows: sleeping
- Rugs (no larger than 6 X 8)
- Hardware: forks, spoons, knives + serving pieces
- Towels: kitchen and bath (wash, hand and bath)
- Utensils (serving)
- Wastebaskets/trash cans
SMALL APPLIANCES & ELECTRONICS:
- Blenders/Cuisinart/food processors/mixers
- DVD players
- Fans: box and floor (no ceiling fixtures)
- Heaters: small/electric (no base-board heaters)
- Irons and Ironing boards
- Lamps: floor and table (no fixtures)
- Radios (portable)
- Specialty appliances: electric griddles, woks, fry pans, Panini press/grills, quesadillas makers, rice steamers, and waffle makers
- Toasters and toaster ovens
MIRRORS, ARTWORK, & PICTURES:
- All must be framed
- We provide men in the Works Program professional attire. Please call ahead for specific needs: 804-358-0964 Ext 402.
Items We DO NOT Accept:
- Appliances, washers, dryers, refrigerators and stoves, etc.
- King-size mattresses, king-size beds
- Tempurpedic mattresses
- Entertainment centers, wardrobes or Armoires
- Hospital or electric beds
- Tube TVs
- Commercial office furniture (e.g. cubicles and large desks)
- Cribs, car seats, strollers or other baby equipment
- Medical equipment or wheelchairs
- Kitchen cabinets, ceiling fans, light fixtures that require installation, or any other items that attach to building structures
- Sewing machines
- Stereo systems and speakers
- Casual women’s, children’s, or men’s clothes
- Items from the basement or attic, only 1st and 2nd floor
QUALITY OF ITEMS ACCEPTED
- Quality, gently used and new items accepted.
- All items must be clean and in good working condition.
- Free of rips, stains and/or pet hair.
- All staff and volunteers have the right to refuse items that do not meet our quality standard.
- Not sure if you should donate an item? Ask yourself if you would feel comfortable giving it to a friend or family member.
DONATE YOUR CAR
Donate your car to CARITAS, and you may be restoring a person’s livelihood. All you need to provide is your car and your title…we do the rest!
Through our “Wheels to Work” program, eligible clients needing reliable transportation to secure work are qualified to invest in the cars you donate! This huge step toward stability and provides important life skills training on many levels Call Scott Hilliard at 230-1217 for more information about how to drop off your vehicle at 1125 Commerce Rd, or to arrange a tow or pick-up.
After that, we will handle the following steps:
- When we receive the title, it will be signed over to CARITAS
- CARITAS will take the title to DMV and process the paperwork to transfer the title
- We will look up your car’s Kelly Blue Book Value.
- If it is valued over $500.00, a 1098C will be issued to you along with a thank-you letter for your donation
- If it is valued under $500, we will simply issue you a thank-you letter
- This generous donation from you will make such a difference by removing a major obstacle standing between one of our clients and self-sufficiency. We thank you in advance for considering CARITAS the next time you plan to donate your vehicle!
- We want to pass along an opportunity, not a problem, so please only donate vehicles that have life left in them (just like our gently used furnishings at the Furniture Bank!). We can take care of minor fixes such as batteries or tires, but CARITAS does not have the ability to make repairs.
Where can I take the items I want to donate but aren’t accepted by CARITAS?
If you want to donate an item but CARITAS doesn’t accept it, here are a few helpful resources:
- Salvation Army Thrift Store
3807 Mechanicsville Turnpike
Opens at 10:00 AM
- Love of Jesus Thrift Store South
5503 Midlothian Turnpike
Open until 6:00 PM
- Richmond Metropolitan Habitat for Humanity
1901 Roane Street
Open until 5:00 PM
- Dress for Success (Women’s Professional Clothing)
210 E. Clay Street
Fridays, 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.