Kelly Chopus has been named Interim President and CEO of CARITAS. We are excited to welcome this experienced leader as the search continues for our permanent President & CEO continues.
“The search for our next CEO is our utmost priority, and we know we have big shoes to fill,” says CARITAS Board of Directors Chair Greg Suskind. “Having an executive of Kelly’s reputation helps us focus on the opportunity of the right person, and not be rushed by timing.”
Most recently, Kelly served as President and CEO of Robins Foundation for more than eight years where she managed a talented team of experts.
“CARITAS has grown into one of the country’s most comprehensive providers of services to people experiencing homelessness and addiction,” says Chopus. “I’m really proud to join the staff, volunteers, and partners as they celebrate their growth and prepare for a bright future.”
Chopus herself is a change-maker in the community. She guided the Robins Foundation through critical strategic shifts and influenced the landscape of Richmond’s nonprofit community through open dialogue, relationship-building, and collaboration with other funders to address the region’s most pressing needs.
In addition to her leadership at the Robins Foundation, Chopus has led many teams across a variety of industries:
- Director of Community Relations for Fortune 500® aerospace and defense manufacturer, Goodrich Corporation.
- Vice President of Business Operations for the former WNBA Charlotte Sting from 2002-2005
- Associate Producer for the Salt Lake Organizing Committee for the 2002 Winter Olympiad.
Chopus has earned several honors for her leadership:
- The 2012 Mover and Shaker Award by Business Leader Magazine.
- One of the 50 Most Influential Women in Charlotte, N.C. in 2013 by The Mecklenburg Times.
She has served on numerous nonprofit boards, task forces, and committees across the country:
- National board member for the Association for Corporate Contributions Professionals (ACCP)
- The U S Airways Education Foundation
- The Southeast Council on Foundations (SECF)
- Board member of ChamberRVA
- Board member of Venture Richmond
- Organizing committee for the Capital Region Collaborative
- Founding member of Virginia Funders Network, a statewide collaborative of corporate, private, family and community foundations.
Chopus is also a mother of “three smart, funny and compassionate young adults.”
The Board of Directors has retained BoardWalk Consulting, which will continue to conduct a nationwide search for CARITAS’s next President & CEO.